Thursday, August 7, 2008

Day 9: Efficient use of time

The challenge suggests we track what we do during the day and see what time wasters we may have in our day and to also see how much of our time is spent doing those things which are really important and are a priority.

I have done this exercise before (for a college class) and I was pleasantly surprised about how well I did use my time. I should do this again but now is not the time. I will revisit this probably on day 71. Its not because I don't want to do it now, but with it being summer, me not having classes, the upcoming move, I just don't feel as though I will get a valid picture of my usual time usage.

There was a section of the days reading that I do think I will implement right away. It was suggest we determine how much time we could spend doing things for others - for example, being asked to serve on X committee or being asked to spend some time at a school party or PTA or or or... you get the point. In each week, once that time was used up or allotted, we should start to say "no" to other requests. I like this idea. I'm going to ponder just how much time is 'enough' to spend on other things. Right now I'm thinking 10 hours a week but this may not be realistic. According to MANY I have spoken with, I'm barely going to see the light of day for the next 2 years while I'm in nursing school. So, for now, in the summer, I will try for 10 hours, with a re-evaluation in the fall.

No comments: